Monday, September 15, 2008

This is not it

Justin, Josh, Ryan, Ben, Taylor, Ashley, Jeb. All completed their lives in less than 25 years. All friends of mine. All different causes. Just in 2008 alone my friends, family, and I have dealt with losing young loved ones to drug overdose, colon cancer, a freak accident where an 18-wheeler literally fell off an overpass onto a car, and just last week a guy I graduated with from high school had a heart attack.

I don't mean to bring anyone down, but I just feel like it's constantly around me. Life just feels so temporary. It is, but I don't think most people really feel it. Know what I mean? Most young people feel invincible, but I just never felt that way. It's not like I live in constant fear or anything, although it's definitely prevalent, but I'm just aware that this life isn't it.

I don't know why it is so shocking when we lose someone, but it is...every time. I just did a quick search on BibleGateway, and there are 459 appearances of the word "death," only slightly beat by the word "life" with 538 appearances in the ESV. Not to mention verses like the following, that don't say the words, but imply that this life is not permanent.

“So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”2 Corinthians 4:18

But am I living my life recklessly, even though I'm aware of its brevity? Yeah, I think most of us are. I can't say that I'm pressing into what is eternal daily. I still get so caught up in the temporary things. I hope that the loss of our friends has tugged at other's hearts, and that they've at least considered the possibility that this isn't it. I hope that I'll remember that living cautiously by my standards may be reckless by God's standards.

Here's a few of my favorite pics of friends I've lost. I hope Ashley and Josh are enjoying their real life up there. Miss you guys.


1 comment:

Christopher Day said...

This may sound totally off the wall. You guys don't know me. But I want you to know that I'm praying for you and thinking about you.

Let me explain. I also have a blog: http://www.drivingwithoutmirrors.blogspot.com/
Sometimes I do little experiments with what to write about on my blog. Today, I prayed for God to lead me. I knew that I was simply going to click the "next blog" tab at the top of my blog page. Whichever blog popped up - I committed myself to be in prayer for the blog author. I have NO idea what circumstances you may be dealing with or what trials you may be going through (if any). All I know is that God has led me to you guys.

As promised, I will be praying for you and your family, especially around these holidays. This post, in particular, touched me. I, too, have lost a lot of folks way too soon in their short lives. And I know the holidays can be a very difficult time to survive when loved ones are gone and not able to share in those times with us.

Jared and Rachel, you are in my thoughts and prayers (as well as in the thoughts and prayers of my family, friends and blog readers - because today's post will feature you). Just know that you have friends (by God's appointment) in Ohio.